Each January, the Department of Medicine sponsors a "Writing and Medicine" Grand Rounds which features various physician-authors.
- 2004 Abraham Verghese, MD, author of My Own Country, The Tennis Partner, and Cutting for Stone. www.abrahamverghese.com
- 2005 Richard Selzer, MD, author of Letters to a Young Doctor (1982), The Doctor Stories (1998), Taking the World in for Repairs (1986), The Whistler’s Room (2007), and many other collections.
- 2006 Anna Reisman, MD, Yale Internal Medicine Residency Writers’ Workshop leader whose articles and essays have appeared in The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, Discover Magazine, and elsewhere.
- 2007 Sherwin Nuland, MD, author of The Soul of Medicine (2009), Doctors: The Biography of Medicine (1988), How We Die: Reflections on Life’s Final Chapter (1994), Lost in America: A Journey with My Father (2003), and many other books.
- 2008 Lisa Sanders, MD, "Diagnosis" columnist for The New York Times Magazine, author of The Perfect Fit Diet: Combine What Science Knows About Weight Loss With What You Know About Yourself (2005) and Every Patient Tells a Story: Medical Mysteries and the Art of Diagnosis (2009).
- 2009 Danielle Ofri, MD, author of Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue, Incidental Findings: Lessons from My Patients in the Art of Medicine (2005), and the forthcoming Medicine in Translation: Journeys with My Patients (2010). www.danielleofri.com
- 2010 Perri Klass, MD, Professor of Pediatrics and Journalism at NYU, author of Baby Doctor, A Not Entirely Benign Procedure, Letters to a Young Doctor, and many other books. www.perriklass.com
- 2011 Stephen Bergman, MD, aka Samuel Shem, author of the novels House of God, Mount Misery, and The Spirit of the Place, and the play, Bill W. and Dr. Bob. www.samuelshem.com
- 2012 Rafael Campo, MD, author of The Other Man Was Me, What the Body Told, The Healing Art: A Doctor's Black Bag of Poetry, and more. www.rafaelcampo.com
- 2013 Pauline Chen, MD, author of Final Exam: A Surgeon's Reflections on Mortality, and the New York Times Doctor and Patient columnist.
- 2014 Louise Aronson, MD, author of History of the Present Illness, www.louisearonson.com
- 2015 Sayantani DasGupta, MD, MPH, core faculty member of Program in Narrative Medicine at Columbia University and author of several books including Her Own Medicine: A Woman's Journey from Student to Doctor, www.sayantanidasgupta.com
- 2016 Terrence Holt, MD, author of the short story collections Internal Medicine and In the Valley of the Kings
- Randi Hutter Epstein, MD, author of Get Me Out: A History of Childbirth from the Garden of Eden to the Spermbank, www.randihutterepstein.com
- Anne Fadiman, author of The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down